From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Routine nodetool repair
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:18:17 GMT
Post the output from nodetool ring and take a look at http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Token_selection

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 22/12/2011, at 5:21 AM, Blake Starkenburg wrote:

> Thank You!
>
> Could the lack of routine repair be why nodetool ring reports: node(1) Load -> 78.24
MB and node(2) Load -> 67.21 MB? The load span between the two nodes has been increasing
ever so slowly...

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Here you go http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Dealing_with_the_consequences_of_nodetool_repair_not_running_within_GCGraceSeconds
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 21/12/2011, at 2:44 PM, Blake Starkenburg wrote:
>
>> I have been playing around with Cassandra for a few months now. Starting to explore
more of the routine maintenance and backup strategies and I have a general question about
nodetool repair. After reading the following page: http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/operations/cluster_management
it has occurred to me that for these past few months I have NOT DONE any cleanup or repair
commands on a test 2-node cluster (and their has been quite a few deletes, writes, etc.).

>> For some reason I was under the assumption that Cassandra handled the tombstone records
from deletes automatically? Should I still run nodetool repair and if so, what about old deletes
which occurred months ago?