From Stephen Pope <Stephen.P...@quest.com>
Subject RE: Suggestion about syntax of CREATE COLUMN FAMILY
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:34:36 GMT
I'd like to second this. I've been working with Cassandra for a good while now, but when I
first started little things like this were confusing.

From: Don Smith [mailto:dsmith@likewise.com]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 3:41 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Suggestion about syntax of CREATE COLUMN FAMILY

Currently, the syntax for creating column families is like this:
create column family Users
with comparator=UTF8Type
and default_validation_class=UTF8Type
and key_validation_class=UTF8Type;

It's not clear what "comparator" and "default_validation_class" refer to. Much clearer would
be:
create column family Users
with column_name_comparator=UTF8Type
and column_value_validation_class=UTF8Type
and key_validation_class=UTF8Type;

BTW, instead of "column_name_comparator", I'd actually prefer "column_key_comparator" since
it seems more accurate to call column names "column keys."

  Don