From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring move progress
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:04:54 GMT
> My expectation is that after the compactions (which the project wiki refers to as "anti-compactions"),
I would start to see outbound streaming activity in netstats.
That is very old information.
The compactions you saw may have been the result of flushing to disk before starting the move.

You may also see them after the streaming as completed and the new SSTables are compacted
with the older ones.

What is nodetool ring saying ?

The last thing that logs before the streaming starts is "Sleeping {} ms before start streaming/fetching
ranges".

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 22/12/2011, at 5:07 PM, Ethan Rowe wrote:

> I've got some nodes in a "moving" state in a cluster (the nodes to which they stream
shouldn't overlap), and I'm finding it difficult to determine if they're actually doing anything
related to the move at this point, or if they're stuck in the state and not actually doing
anything.

> In each case, I issued the move command per usual.
>
> The log shows information about the move when it begins, showing the correct token change
that I would expect in each case.

> Compactions took place on each moving node, which can be viewed through "nodetool compactionstats"
or through the CompactionManager in JMX.

> But eventually the compactions stopped, apart from various ongoing secondary index rebuilds
and consequent related index compactions.  Yet I see no stream transfers via netstats.  My
expectation is that after the compactions (which the project wiki refers to as "anti-compactions"),
I would start to see outbound streaming activity in netstats.  Yet I do not.