From blafrisch <michael.fri...@swype.com>
Subject Question about storage (live vs total) for column families
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 14:54:14 GMT
My understanding was that total is sum of all SSTables on disc even those not
being used currently and live is the sum of the SSTables on disc that are
being used currently.

Well I have a Cassandra 1.0.2 cluster in which all of the column families
are reporting live being greater than total.  I have a 5 node cluster with a
replication factor of 3.

And example column family's data:
                SSTable count: 7
                Space used (live): 360190517439
                Space used (total): 114886096957

As you can see, live is a little over 3x that of the total.  How is that
possible?  The actual disk space consumed reflects that of the of the total,
not "live".