just forgot to add the paper link if this is useful at all : To BLOB or Not To BLOB: Large Object Storage in a Database or a Filesystem

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Aditya Narayan <adynnn@gmail.com> wrote:
Would it be recommended to store the profile pics of users on an application in Cassandra ? Or file system would be a better way to go. I came across an interesting paper which advocates storing in DB for blobs sized up to 1 MB. I was planning to store the image bytes in the same row that contained other information of the user. So that all the related data of a user could retrieved at once. But I realized that since Cassandra would replicate this data multiple times which will make this storage expensive. This would lead me to either using separate CF with RF=1 which will remove the encouraging factor of keeping all the user related data at hte same place.

So what would be a good strategy to store the profile pics of users ? (The image size would be around 70*70px).

What are the pros and cons in terms of performance, storage space requirements etc ?