From Robert Jackson <robe...@promedicalinc.com>
Subject Re: Second Cassandra users survey
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:16:23 GMT
On Nov 6, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Ed Anuff <ed@anuff.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see official support for Zookeeper inside of Cassandra.
> I'd like it to be something that can be optionally configured.  I'd
> like to be able to make batch mutations atomic using it.

Not sure how possible this is, but we are forced to use a Zookeeper component in some of our
applications due to the need for a small number atomic updates to multiple rows or CF's.

I would also like to see the ability to store counter columns alongside of regular columns.
It would definitely alleviate some of the need for the "transactional" qualities of Zookeeper
as it would remove one of the bigger reasons we have to update two CF's at a time. (Inserting
new columns into regular CF and increment counter of said columns.)

Another possible solution is to allow some sort of efficient counting of columns for a given
row-key. To take that even further if we could couple that ability with the current composite
column functionality then we could get an efficient count of columns containing a particular
prefix.

Robert Jackson