From Aditya Narayan <ady...@gmail.com>
Subject Store profile pics of users in Cassandra or file system ?
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:04:08 GMT
Would it be recommended to store the profile pics of users on an
application in Cassandra ? Or file system would be a better way to go. I
came across an interesting paper which advocates storing in DB for blobs
sized up to 1 MB. I was planning to store the image bytes in the same row
that contained other information of the user. So that all the related data
of a user could retrieved at once. But I realized that since Cassandra
would replicate this data multiple times which will make this storage
expensive. This would lead me to either using separate CF with RF=1 which
will remove the encouraging factor of keeping all the user related data at
hte same place.

So what would be a good strategy to store the profile pics of users ? (The
image size would be around 70*70px).

What are the pros and cons in terms of performance, storage space
requirements etc ?