From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: shutdown by KILL
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 03:31:28 GMT
Kind of.  That was the original design, and it's definitely still safe
to use that way, but the restart will obvoiusly be faster if it
doesn't have to replay commitlog.  So a lot of people deploy something
like what Chris described.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Dan Hendry <dan.hendry.junk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I *thought* Cassandra was supposed to have a crash only design[1]. My understanding is
that it is safe to simply kill the process and with the regular TERM signal and, shutdown
would be blocked on fsyncing the commit log but nothing else (obviously not true if you kill
-9 the sucker) even when using periodic commit log mode. Again, my understanding is that the
disable thrift/gossip commands have no functional purpose (both are going to go down with
as part of drain are they not?). Issuing a 'drain' only minimizes the amount of commit log
which needs to be replayed when starting back up.