From Felix Sprick <>
Subject Multiple Keyword Lookup Indexes
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:51:09 GMT

We are implementing a Cassandra-backed user database. The challange in
this is that there are 4 different sort of user IDs that all need to
be indexed in order to access user data via them quickly. For example
the user has a unique UUID, but also a LoginName and an email address,
which can all be used for authentication.

How do I model this in Cassandra?

My approach would be to have one main "table" which is indexed by the
most frequently used lookup value as row-key, lets say this is the
UUID. This table would contain all customer data. Then I would create
a index "table" for each of the other login alternatives, where I just
reference to the UUID. So each alternative login which is not using
the UUID would require two Cassandra queries. Are there any better
approaches to model this?

Also, I read somewhere that Cassandra is not optimized for these
"reference tables" which are very short with two columns only. What is
the reason for that?

View raw message