From Fredrik L Stigbäck <fredrik.l.stigb...@sitevision.se>
Subject Clear snapshot on windows
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 08:37:24 GMT
Clearing snapshots on Windows with nodetool sometimes fails.
The reason is because the snapshot files hardlinks into corresponding
files in the data directory.
When compaction runs, most of the files are merged and the corresponding
snapshot files can be deleted but often .e.g. the secondary index files
isn't compacted. If one of those undeletable files is the first in the
loop to be deleted then the whole clear snapshot fails, and "deletable"
files in the snapshot isn't deleted.
I guess all files in data directory is eventually compacted and will
then be eligible for deletion but would this be problem if we have
seldom updated column family that wont be compacted very often?
Is this considered a bug or is it something that won't be fixed due to
the way Windows handles hard links?

Regards
/Fredrik