From Anthony Ikeda <anthony.ikeda....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Programmatically allow only one out of two types of rows in a CF to enter the CACHE
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2011 01:00:10 GMT
By higher level data I meant the common data.

For example we plan on creating an index using Solr for search but as its lucene based you
can store the common data as part of a Document. It won't be indexed but is still accessible
as the document will share the same "id" as the row key.

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/10/2011, at 11:23, Aditya Narayan <adynnn@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Mohit:
> I have stated the example scenarios in my first post under this heading.
> Also I have stated above why I want to split that data in two rows & like Ikeda below
stated, I'm too trying out to prevent the frequently accessed rows being bloated with large
data & want to prevent that data from entering cache as well.

> Okay so as most know this practice is called a wide row - we use them quite a lot. However,
as your schema shows it will cache (while being active) all the row in memory.  One way we
got around this issue was to basically create some materialized views of any more common data
so we can easily get to the minimum amount of information required without blowing too much
memory with the larger representations.
> Yes exactly this is problem I am facing but I want to keep the both the types(common
+ large/detailed) of data in single CF so that it could server 'two materialized views'.

> My perspective is that indexing some of the higher levels of data would be the way to
go - Solr or elastic search for distributed or if you know you only need it local just use
a caching solution like ehcache
> What do you mean exactly by  "indexing some of the higher levels of data" ?
>
> Thanks you guys!
>

> Anthony
>

> On 28/10/2011, at 21:42 PM, Aditya Narayan wrote:
>
> > I need to keep the data of some entities in a single CF but split in two rows for
each entity. One row contains an overview information for the entity & another row contains
detailed information about entity. I am wanting to keep both rows in single CF so they may
be retrieved in a single query when required together.

> > Now the problem I am facing is that I want to cache only first type of rows(ie,
the overview containing rows) & avoid second type rows(that contains large data) from
getting into cache.

> > Is there a way I can manipulate such filtering of cache entering rows from a single
CF?