From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: ByteOrderedPartitioner token generation
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 08:54:04 GMT
When considering such an expedition it is important to quantify the relative account of the
terms "large" and "short". The modern gentleman may also find respite through the application
of the Bulk Loader http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/bulk-loading

I would avoid using the BOP unless you are sure you want to manually shard and balance your
data. Also every write is sent to all RF nodes, and the handy thing is if some of the nodes
fail to apply the write the cluster may still think it successful .

Writes can be *very* fast, have you tested your setup to see if there are any issues ? Even
if you have a local workstation have a look at the CF Write Latency stats from nodetool cfstats.
If you are having issues with write speed and you cannot add more nodes, or more clients,
I would look at disabling the commit log (or increasing the periodic sync) if your problem
domain permits it.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 5/10/2011, at 7:30 PM, Masoud Moshref Javadi wrote:

> I need to insert a large amount of data to Cassandra cluster in a short time. So I want
the interaction among Cassandra servers be minimum. I think that the best way to do this is
to use ByteOrderedPartitioner and generate ID of new data based on the InitialToken of servers
and send data to the corresponding server from the webserver. Am I right?

> Now my question is if I have some data ranging from 1-100 and want to put 1-25 in server1,
26-50 in server 2 and so on, what should be the Initial Token of the servers?