From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: is it advisable to keep the data that is not frequently read/written to the database else where ?
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:32:42 GMT
If you have different work loads for your data the first approach is to use different CF's.
You can make changes to the row / key cache to allocate more cache to the important things.
The OS will take care of using the rest of the memory to cache the disk access.

In this case there is not much difference between multiple CF's and multiple keyspaces.

If after tuning CF's you still see an issue (or you have really different workloads) the next
step is to use different clusters. See this recent post from edward http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg17576.html

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 1/10/2011, at 5:18 AM, Ramesh S wrote:

> Thank you Jonathan for your quick reply.
> The reason I asked the question is because I have noticed some companies have used Cassandra
to store data (which needs frequent read writes ) in-memory and have used other databases
for data which is less frequently read/updated.
> So this created my doubt in my design decision.
>  Also we have a major portion of data which need not be in-memory . Right now we have
a design where everything is in the same keyspace.
> So is there a way where we can may be swap that data, which is less demanding , to disk
, by keeping in a different keyspace.