On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Hefeng Yuan <hfyuan@rhapsody.com> wrote:
We didn't change MemtableThroughputInMB/min/maxCompactionThreshold, they're 499/4/32.
As for why we're flushing at ~9m, I guess it has to do with this: http://thelastpickle.com/2011/05/04/How-are-Memtables-measured/
The only parameter I tried to play with is the compaction_throughput_mb_per_sec, tried cutting it in half and doubled, seems none of them helps avoiding the simultaneous compactions on nodes.

I agree that we don't necessarily need to add node, as long as we have a way to avoid simultaneous compaction on 4+ nodes.

Thanks,
Hefeng

Can you check in the logs for something like this
...... Memtable.java (line 157) Writing Memtable-<ColumnFamilyName>@1151031968(67138588 bytes, 47430 operations)
to see the bytes/operations at which the column family gets flushed. In case you are hitting the operations threshold you can try increasing that to a high number. The operations threshold is getting hit at  less than 2% of size threshold. I would try bumping up the memtable_operations substantially. Default is 1.1624999999999999(in millions).  Try 10 or 20 and see if your CF flushes at higher size. Keep adjusting it until the frequency/size of flushing becomes satisfactory and hopefully reduces the compaction overhead.

-Adi