Yes, my cluster is working.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the StorageService link I listed is already in 0.8.4, so yes the only file I had to patch was VersionedValue.  Not sure what was going on with the pig jars, but after more configuration changes than I can count, I'm pretty sure removing pig.jar in favor of the cloudera pig jar was the magic bullet (for the ClassNotFound I was getting, in this case TException).

One final note: in production I had to patch all of my cassandra servers (OLTP and analytics)* with the VersionedValue file for it to work (though, I did forget one setting, so now I'm still not 100% sure I had to patch all of them, but it's working now).

will

OLTP = vanilla cassandra
analytics = cassandra + tasktracker.  I'm not on brisk yet, so I've been rolling my own.