On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:28 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
Offsets have been discussed in previously. IIRC the main concerns were either:

There is no way to reliably count to start the offset, i.e. we do not lock the row

In the new get_count function, cassandra does the internal paging in order to get the total count. Without locking the row,  the count could still be unreliable (someone might be deleting some columns while cassandra is counting the columns).

Or performance related in, as there is not a reliable way to skip 10,000 columns other than counting 10,000 columns. With a start col we can search.

I am just curious, basically "skip 10,000 columns to get the start column" can be done as what cassandra does for new get_count function (internal paging). I just can not think of a reason why it is doable for get_count but it can not be done for the offset.

I know the result might not be reliable and the performance might be varied depends on the offset, but if cassandra can using internal paging to get count, it should be able the apply the same method to get the start column for the offset.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton