From Oleg Anastastasyev <olega...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using 5-6 bytes for cassandra timestamps vs 8…
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 06:14:39 GMT

> I have a patch for trunk which I just have to get time to test a bit before I
submit.
> It is for super columns and will use the super columns timestamp as the base
and only store variant encoded offsets in the underlying columns.

Could you please measure how much real benefit it brings (in real RAM
consumption by JVM). It is hard to tell will it give noticeable results or not.
AFAIK memory structures used for memtable consume much more memory. And 64-bit
JVM allocates memory aligned to 64-bit word boundary. So 37% of memory
consumption reduction looks doubtful.