From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra reconfiguration
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 04:57:15 GMT
> Our RF is 2
Are you using the SimpleStrategy or the NetworkTopologyStrategy ? I assumed NTS in a multi
DC setup.

I think I sent before my brain caught up before.

I was thinking that if you had an NTS setup like [ {DC1 : 3}, {DC2: 3}, {DC3:3}] you would
change it to
[ {DC1 :3}, {DC2:3}, {DC3 :0}] and then decommission the nodes in DC3.

I dont want to say to much more without knowing how the data is distributed, the token assignments
and the placement strategy.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 23/09/2011, at 5:46 AM, Hiren Shah wrote:

> I just started decommissioning one of the nodes. It is streaming data to other nodes
in the data center, though, which seems waste of time because all the nodes will be going
away. Wouldn’t it be better to just bring cassandra down on these nodes? And then run removetoken
or change the topology and restart nodes on other two datacenters?

> Does it make sense to issue decommission to other nodes before one is finished? That
should also avoid the unnecessary streaming in theory.

> Thanks,
> Hiren

puzzle. That is where I could not find any doc.

> Hiren

rid of one of the data centers, so I want to reconfig my cluster to two data centers, seven
nodes each. I first need to shut down DC3. I have already shut down traffic to DC3 and am
running repairs. My priority #1 is to maintain the stability of overall cluster (the two live
data centers). Some data loss is tolerable, but it will be ideal if I can avoid that.

> What is the best way to decommission entire data center? Should I issue decommission
to the nodes one by one? Will that put additional load on remaining nodes in DC3? Or should
I just shut them down and then run removetoken for these nodes? Or is there a better way?