From Viktor Jevdokimov <Viktor.Jevdoki...@adform.com>
Subject RE: shutdown by drain
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:09:37 GMT
More of it, Cassandra 0.8.6 still leaves all commit logs under Windows.

Best regards/ Pagarbiai

Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com
Phone: +370 5 212 3063
Fax: +370 5 261 0453

J. Jasinskio 16C,
LT-01112 Vilnius,
Lithuania

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender. You must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably delete this message
and any copies.-----Original Message-----
From: Radim Kolar [mailto:hsn@sendmail.cz]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 12:04
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: shutdown by drain

Dne 10.9.2011 21:48, Chris Goffinet napsal(a):
> For things like rolling restarts, we do:
>
> disablethrift
> disablegossip
> (...wait for all nodes to see this node go down..) drain
I discovered problem with this advice.

If i do nodetool drain before killing node nodetool returns just after flush and stuff disabling
is finished on cassandra node. But flush can trigger possible compaction and if you kill node
after drain it will interrupt compaction in progress resulting in wasted disk space. I am
not sure if tmp files are cleaned on cassandra start.