From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Weird problem with empty CF
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:22:00 GMT
if I had to guess I would say it was spending time handling tombstones. If you see it happen
again, and are interested, turn the logging up to DEBUG and look for messages from something
starting with "Slice"

Minor (automatic) compaction will, over time, purge the tombstones. Until then reads must
read discard the data deleted by the tombstones. If you perform a big (i.e. 100k's ) delete
this can reduce performance until compaction does it's thing.

My second guess would be read repair (or the simple consistency checks on read) kicking in.
That would show up in the "ReadRepairStage" in TPSTATS

it may have been neither of those two things, just guesses. If you have more issues let us
know and provide some more info.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 29/09/2011, at 6:35 AM, Daning wrote:

> I have an app polling a few CFs (select first N * from CF), there were data in CFs but
later were deleted so CFs were empty for a long time. I found Cassandra CPU usage was getting
high to 80%, normally it uses less than 30%. I issued the select query manually and feel the
response is slow. I have tried nodetool compact/repair for those CFs but that does not work.
later, I issue 'truncate' for all the CFs and CPU usage gets down to 1%.

> Can somebody explain to me why I need to truncate an empty CF? and what else I could
do to bring the CPU usage down?