From Greg Hinkle <greghin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MessagingService.sendOneWay sending blank bytes?
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:04:54 GMT
Is it worth a back-port or at least switch to asByteArray for 0.8.7? It's a sizable amount
of wasted network traffic and the fix seems pretty safe. (It's working for me)

Greg Hinkle

On Sep 23, 2011, at 3:32 AM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> Yes.  This is one of the things fixed for 1.0 in
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Greg Hinkle <greghinkle@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I noticed that on the 0.8 branch the implementation of MessagingService.sendOneWay
is building up a DataOutputBuffer with a default size of 128 bytes, but then sending it as
the full buffer no matter how many bytes the the data takes. I believe it should be calling
DataOutputBuffer.asByteArray() or copying just up to the length() into the ByteBuffer. This
means it appears to be wasting on around 40 to 80 bytes on every message. This really adds
up in a big cluster.

>> It looks like things are different in trunk, but can anyone confirm this bug in 0.8?
Thanks.