From Koert Kuipers <>
Subject Re: Storing (python) objects
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:45:20 GMT
i would advise not to use a language specific storage format, you might
regret it later on if you want to add an application to your system that is
written in anything else than python. i mean python is great, but it is not
necessary the right tool for every job

look at thrift/protobuf/avro/bson/json
i would use a serialization with an IDL

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:07 AM, David Allsopp <> wrote:

> We have done exactly as you describe (nested dicts etc) - works fine as
> long as you are happy to read the whole lump of data, i.e. don't need to
> read at a finer granularity. This approach can also save a lot of storage
> space as you don't have the overhead of many small columns.
> Some folks also write JSON, which would be a bit more language-independent
> of course.
> On 22 September 2011 19:28, Ian Danforth <> wrote:
>> All,
>>  I find myself considering storing serialized python dicts in Cassandra.
>> I'd like to store fairly complex, nested dicts, and it's just easier to do
>> this rather than work out a lot of super columns / columns etc.
>>  Do others find themselves storing serialized data structures in Cassandra
>> or is this generally a sign of doing something wrong?
>>  Thanks in advance!
>> Ian

View raw message