From Anand Somani <meatfor...@gmail.com>
Subject Question on using consistency level with NetworkTopologyStrategy
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 20:14:03 GMT
Hi,

Have a requirement, where data is spread across multiple DC for disaster
recovery. So I would use the NTS, that is clear, but I have some questions
with this scenario

   - I have 2 Data Centers
   - RF - 2 (active DC) , 2 (passive DC)
   - with NTS - Consistency level options are - LOCAL_QUORUM and EACH
   _QUORUM
   - I want LOCAL_QUORUM and 1 remote copy (not 2) for write to succeed, if
   I used EACH_QUORUM - it would mean that I need both the remote nodes up (as
   I understand from http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/operations/datacenter
   ).

So if that is my requirement what consistency Level should I be using for my
writes? Is that even possible with NTS or another strategy? I could use the
SimpleStrategy with Quorum, but that would mean sending 2 copies (instead of
1 per DC that NTS uses to optimize on WAN traffic) to remote DC (since it
does not understand DC's)?

Thanks
Anand