From Philippe <watche...@gmail.com>
Subject Moving to a new cluster
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:27:41 GMT
Hello,
We're currently running on a 3-node RF=3 cluster. Now that we have a better
grip on things, we want to replace it with a 12-node RF=3 cluster of
"smaller" servers. So I wonder what the best way to move the data to the new
cluster would be. I can afford to stop writing to the current cluster for
whatever time is necessary. Has anyone written up something on this subject
?

My plan is the following (nodes in cluster 1 are node1.1->1.3, nodes in
cluster 2 are node2.1->2.12)

   - stop writing to current cluster & drain it
   - get a snapshot on each node
   - Since it's RF=3, each node should have all the data, so assuming I set
   the tokens correctly I would move the snapshot from node1.1 to node2.1, 2.2,
   2.3 and 2.4 then node1.2->node2.5,2.6,2.,2.8, etc. This is because the range
   for node1.1 is now spread across 2.1->2.4
   - Run repair & clean & scrub on each node (more or less in //)

What do you think ?
Thanks