From Daning Wang <dan...@netseer.com>
Subject Queue suggestion in Cassandra
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:08:06 GMT
We try to implement an ordered queue system in Cassandra(ver 0.8.5). In
initial design  we use a row as queue,  a column for each item in queue.
that means creating new column when inserting  item and delete column when
top item is popped. Since columns are sorted in Cassandra we got the ordered
queue.

It works fine until queue size reaches 50K, then we got high CPU usage and
constant GC, that makes the whole Cassandra server very slow and not
responsive, we have to do full compaction to fix this problem.

Due to this performance issue that this queue is not useful for us. We are
looking for other designs. I want to know if anybody has implemented a large
ordered queue successfully.

Let me know if you have suggestion,

Thank you in advance.

Daning