incubator-cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From William Oberman <ober...@civicscience.com>
Subject Re: cassandra 0.8.4 + pig (using cloudera rpms)
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:41:12 GMT
Yes, my cluster is working.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the StorageService link I listed is
already in 0.8.4, so yes the only file I had to patch was VersionedValue.
 Not sure what was going on with the pig jars, but after more configuration
changes than I can count, I'm pretty sure removing pig.jar in favor of the
cloudera pig jar was the magic bullet (for the ClassNotFound I was getting,
in this case TException).

One final note: in production I had to patch all of my cassandra servers
(OLTP and analytics)* with the VersionedValue file for it to work (though, I
did forget one setting, so now I'm still not 100% sure I had to patch all of
them, but it's working now).

will

OLTP = vanilla cassandra
analytics = cassandra + tasktracker.  I'm not on brisk yet, so I've been
rolling my own.


On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks William - so you were able to get everything running correctly,
> right?
>
> FWIW, we're in the process of upgrading to 0.8.4 and found that all we
> needed was that first link you mentioned - the VersionedValue modification.
>  It's running fine on our staging cluster and we're in the process of moving
> to production.  We're currently using pig from cdhu0.  All we did was
> replace the 0.8.4 jars after installing the debian packages for 0.8.4.
>
> Not sure if that helps anyone, but thought I would share what we've seen.
>
> Btw, this shouldn't be a problem once 0.8.5 comes out.
>
> On Sep 4, 2011, at 11:03 AM, William Oberman wrote:
>
> > I've had some troubles, so I thought I'd pass on my various bug fixes:
> >
> > -Cass 0.8.4 has troubles with pig/hadoop (you get NPE's when trying to
> connect to cassandra in the pig logs).  You need this patch:
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=1158940&view=revision
> > And maybe this:
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=1155157&view=revision
> >
> > -I had installed from riptano rpms.  I downloaded the src, applied the
> patch, and did "ant jar".  I then replaced the rpm installed cassandra jar
> with this new one (ugly, but I wanted to continue to run from the package).
> >
> > -I think I was able to just replace the apache-cassandra-0.8.4.jar on
> just my jobtracker + tasktracker nodes (I need to retest from scratch to be
> sure, I've done a _lot_ of configuring and reconfiguring)
> >
> > -Then I started getting ClassNotFound exceptions during map/reduce tasks.
>  Still not sure why this fix works, but the problem seems to be cloudera pig
> version 0.20.2+923.97-1 has two jars that match pig*.jar (which is what
> cassandra contrib/pig/bin/pig_cassandra uses to setup the classpath).  I had
> to rename /usr/lib/pig/pig.jar for things to work (leaving
> pig-0.8.1-cdh3u1-core.jar as the only match).
> >
> > My pig script is still running, but it's the first time it didn't
> immediately crash.
> >
> > will
> >
> >
>
>

Mime
View raw message