From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra reconfiguration
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:01:00 GMT
What are the token assignments and what is the RF ?

Without knowing the details I would guess…

Make the RF changes you want for DC 1 and 2 and repair.
decomission the nodes in DC3 one at a time.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 22/09/2011, at 5:29 AM, Hiren Shah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have cassandra in production in three data centers with five nodes each. We are getting
rid of one of the data centers, so I want to reconfig my cluster to two data centers, seven
nodes each. I first need to shut down DC3. I have already shut down traffic to DC3 and am
running repairs. My priority #1 is to maintain the stability of overall cluster (the two live
data centers). Some data loss is tolerable, but it will be ideal if I can avoid that.

> What is the best way to decommission entire data center? Should I issue decommission
to the nodes one by one? Will that put additional load on remaining nodes in DC3? Or should
I just shut them down and then run removetoken for these nodes? Or is there a better way?