From Scott Fines <Scott.Fi...@nisc.coop>
Subject RE: Queue suggestion in Cassandra
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2011 18:34:31 GMT
ZooKeeper + Menagerie might work, but it's unlikely to have the throughput you require. I'd
have a look at Kafka (http://incubator.apache.org/<http://incubator.apache.org/kafka/>),
Kestrel(https://github.com/robey/kestrel/), or one of the AMQP-compliant systems like ActiveMQ
(activemq.apache.org)  or RabbitMQ(http://www.rabbitmq.com/). I'm a fan of Kafka myself.

Thanks for the menagerie shoutout though...:)

Scott Fines

________________________________
From: Milind Parikh [milindparikh@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 6:12 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Queue suggestion in Cassandra

use zookeeper. Scott Fines has a great library on top of zk.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Daning Wang <daning@netseer.com<mailto:daning@netseer.com>>
wrote:
We try to implement an ordered queue system in Cassandra(ver 0.8.5). In initial design  we
use a row as queue,  a column for each item in queue. that means creating new column when
inserting  item and delete column when top item is popped. Since columns are sorted in Cassandra
we got the ordered queue.

It works fine until queue size reaches 50K, then we got high CPU usage and constant GC, that
makes the whole Cassandra server very slow and not responsive, we have to do full compaction
to fix this problem.

Due to this performance issue that this queue is not useful for us. We are looking for other
designs. I want to know if anybody has implemented a large ordered queue successfully.

Let me know if you have suggestion,

Thank you in advance.

Daning