From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: need help setting up production environment
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:13:27 GMT
I would look at http://www.slideshare.net/mattdennis/cassandra-on-ec2

Also, people generally do raid0 on the ephemerals.

EBS is a bad fit for cassandra - see the presentation above.  However, that means you'll need
to have a backup strategy, which is also mentioned in the presentation.

Also are you using the ec2snitch or the property file snitch?

On Sep 3, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Ben Ashton wrote:

> I've been dropped in it a little and had to build a prod setup going live on monday.

> At the moment I have setup three server in EC2 US, one each AZ
>
> the servers are setup as follows:-
>
> m1.xlarge using the Amazons AMI instance storage image, the ephemerals 4 x 420 GB setup
in raid10 and formatted with xfs mounted as /cassandra with all the cassandra data in /cassandra

> I've got the ring setup with 33% on each server.
>
> I imagine I'd need to setup some EBS cassandra servers and insert them in the ring, so
I have a persistence, would m.large be OK for this?

> I've been reading http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ and http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/index
but can anyone recommend a book I can buy this weekend or another web source for best practice?