From Radim Kolar <...@sendmail.cz>
Subject Re: shutdown by drain
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:04:23 GMT
Dne 10.9.2011 21:48, Chris Goffinet napsal(a):
> For things like rolling restarts, we do:
>
> disablethrift
> disablegossip
> (...wait for all nodes to see this node go down..)
> drain
I discovered problem with this advice.

If i do nodetool drain before killing node nodetool returns just after
flush and stuff disabling is finished on cassandra node. But flush can
trigger possible compaction and if you kill node after drain it will
interrupt compaction in progress resulting in wasted disk space. I am
not sure if tmp files are cleaned on cassandra start.