From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: unable to start as a service on Ubuntu server
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:23:51 GMT
You can check the /var/log/cassandra/output.log (stdout / err from the process) and /var/log/cassandra/system.log
to diagnose start problems.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 28/09/2011, at 12:34 PM, Ramesh S wrote:

> On IRC channel, I was told that 'service' clears the environment variables.
> Just in case , some one might be having the same problem.
>
> Use - cassandra start instead of service cassandra start.
>
> ** Please correct me if this is incorrect or if this is because server is wrongly configured.
>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Ramesh S <investtrco@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Konstantin.
>
> I checked the services, but it doesn't show up for some reason. Even trying to connect
locally or remotely using a CLI client, returned
> Exception connecting to xx.xx.xx.xx/9160. Reason: Connection refused.
> But I tried sudo cassandra start and it worked like a charm.
> I am surprised why omitting the 'service' did the job.
> It is development server, but I am little concerned about the production server.
>
> regards
> Ramesh
>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Konstantin Naryshkin <konstantinn@a-bb.net> wrote:
> Yes, they start Cassandra as a daemon in the background. It is running. You can connect
to it from the CLI or any other client. You can see what it is doing by reading the logs.
cassandra -f starts Cassandra in the foreground, that is why it does not return a prompt when
the server starts.

a service by issuing either of the command.