From "Konstantin Naryshkin" <konstant...@a-bb.net>
Subject Re: unable to start as a service on Ubuntu server
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:12:31 GMT
Yes, they start Cassandra as a daemon in the background. It is running. You can connect to
it from the CLI or any other client. You can see what it is doing by reading the logs. cassandra
-f starts Cassandra in the foreground, that is why it does not return a prompt when the server
starts.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ramesh S" <investtrco@gmail.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:03:12 PM
Subject: unable to start as a service on Ubuntu server

Hello all,

We installed Cassandra on our development server , which is a fresh Ubuntu server running
only Cassandra.
We followed all the instructions on this link and when we want to start the server as a service
by issuing either of the command.

service cassandra start
/etc/init.d/cassandra start

it waits for a few seconds, then returns the prompt.
But the service never starts.
When we try to start with cassandra -f , it works fine.

What could be the issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

many thanks