From Hiren Shah <hs...@dotomi.com>
Subject Cassandra reconfiguration
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:29:08 GMT
Hi,

We have cassandra in production in three data centers with five nodes each. We are getting
rid of one of the data centers, so I want to reconfig my cluster to two data centers, seven
nodes each. I first need to shut down DC3. I have already shut down traffic to DC3 and am
running repairs. My priority #1 is to maintain the stability of overall cluster (the two live
data centers). Some data loss is tolerable, but it will be ideal if I can avoid that.

What is the best way to decommission entire data center? Should I issue decommission to the
nodes one by one? Will that put additional load on remaining nodes in DC3? Or should I just
shut them down and then run removetoken for these nodes? Or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,
Hiren Shah