From William Oberman <ober...@civicscience.com>
Subject cassandra 0.8.4 + pig (using cloudera rpms)
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 16:03:37 GMT
I've had some troubles, so I thought I'd pass on my various bug fixes:

-Cass 0.8.4 has troubles with pig/hadoop (you get NPE's when trying to connect to cassandra
in the pig logs).  You need this patch:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=1158940&view=revision
And maybe this:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=1155157&view=revision

-I had installed from riptano rpms.  I downloaded the src, applied the patch, and did "ant
jar".  I then replaced the rpm installed cassandra jar with this new one (ugly, but I wanted
to continue to run from the package).

-I think I was able to just replace the apache-cassandra-0.8.4.jar on just my jobtracker +
tasktracker nodes (I need to retest from scratch to be sure, I've done a _lot_ of configuring
and reconfiguring)

-Then I started getting ClassNotFound exceptions during map/reduce tasks.  Still not sure
why this fix works, but the problem seems to be cloudera pig version 0.20.2+923.97-1 has two
jars that match pig*.jar (which is what cassandra contrib/pig/bin/pig_cassandra uses to setup
the classpath).  I had to rename /usr/lib/pig/pig.jar for things to work (leaving pig-0.8.1-cdh3u1-core.jar
as the only match).

My pig script is still running, but it's the first time it didn't immediately crash.

will