From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Increasing thrift_framed_transport_size_in_mb
Date Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:02:44 GMT
Some discussion of large data here

When creating large rows you also need to be aware of in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb (see
the yaml) and that all columns for a row are stored on the same node. So if you store one
file in a one row you may not get the best load distribution.

I've heard mention before that 10MB is a reasonable max for a row if you have no natural partitions.

That said CFS in Brisk put each block on a row, and used columns for the sub blocks. And the
default settings for HFS are

 <!-- 64 MB default -->

<!-- 2 MB SubBlock Size -->

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer

On 24/09/2011, at 9:27 PM, Radim Kolar wrote:

> Dne 24.9.2011 0:05, Jonathan Ellis napsal(a):
>> Really large messages are not encouraged because they will fragment
>> your heap quickly.  Other than that, no.
> what is recommended chunk size for storing multi gigabyte files in cassandra? 64MB is
okay or its too large?

View raw message