From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra prod environment
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 16:17:13 GMT
We moved off of ubuntu because of kernel issues in the AMIs we found in 10.04 and 10.10 in
ec2.  So we're now on debian squeeze with ext4.  It's been great for us.

One thing that bit us is we'd been using property file snitch and the availability zones as
racks and had an equal number of nodes in each availability zone.  However we hadn't realized
that you need to rotate between racks (AZs) with each token - so for US-East, in token order,
we needed to go something like AZ A, B, C, A, B, C for six nodes.  Otherwise you will get
hotspots because of how replication happens.

For some best practices in ec2, check out http://www.slideshare.net/mattdennis/cassandra-on-ec2

On Sep 2, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Sorin Julean wrote:

> Hey,
>
>  Currently I'm running Cassandra on Ubuntu 10.4 x86_64 in EC2.
>
>  I'm wondering if anyone observed a better performance  / stability on other distros
( CentOS / RHEL / ...) or OS (eg. Solaris intel/SPARC) ?
>  Is anyone running prod on VMs, not cloud, but ESXi or Solaris zones ? Is there love
or hate :) ?  Any storage best-practices on VM environments ?