From mcasandra <mohitanch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LevelDB type compaction
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:58:21 GMT

>> and updates could be scattered all over
>> before compaction?
>
> No, updates to a given row will be still be in a single sstable.

Can you please explain little more? You mean that if Level 1 file contains
range from 1-100 all the updates would still go in that file?

The link on leveldb says:

> The compaction picks a file from level L and all overlapping files from
> the next level L+1

If all updates go in the same sstables then how do overlapping files get
generated. By overlapping I am assuming it means new or updated value for a
given key exists in multiple files?

Thanks for the explanation