From China Stoffen <chinastof...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: commodity server spec
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 13:08:14 GMT
Then what will be the sweetspot for Cassandra? I am more interested in Cassandra because my
application is write heavy.

Till now what I have understood is that Cassandra will not work best for SANs too?

P.S
Mongodb is also a nosql database and designed for horizontal scaling then how its good for
the same hardware for which Cassandra is not a good candidate?

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill <bill@dehora.net>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: commodity server spec

[100% agree with Chris]

China, the machines you're describing sound nice for mongodb/postgres/mysql, but probably
not the sweetspot for Cassandra.

Obviously (well depending on near term load) you don't want to get burned on excess footprint.
But a realistic, don't lose data, be fairly available deployment is going to span at least
2 racks/power supplies and have data replicated offsite (at least as passive for DR). So I
would consider 6-9 relatively weaker servers rather than 3 scale up joints. You'll save some
capex, and the amount of opex overhead is probably worth it traded off against the operational
risk. 3 is an awkward number to operate for anything that needs to be available (although
many people seem to start with that, I am guessing because triplication is traditionally understood
under failure) as it immediately puts 50% extra load on the remaining 2 when one node goes
away. One will go away, even transiently, when it is upgraded, crashes, gets into a funk due
to compaction or garbage collection, and load will then be shunted onto the other 2 - remember
Cassandra has no
 backoff/throttling in place. I'd allow for something breaking at some point (dbs even the
mature ones, fail from time to time) and 2 doesn't give you much room to maneuver in production.

Bill