okay, I see. thanks a lot for the help!

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:26 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
if you disable gossip the node will appear down to others. This would stop the repair starting. After repair has started it *may* still cause problems when new streams start (it probably does not). If the node is down other nodes will stop sending writes to it.

disable thrift will stop clients sending writes to the node.

If you disable thrift you are doing the opposite of repair. You are asking a node to repair it's data so it's in sync with other nodes, at the  same time you are preventing it from accepting writes and staying in sync with other nodes. So you are creating more repair work for the node.

Will will be increasing the amount of Read Repair, Hinted Handoff and Repair work the node must do.  IMHO it's not a good idea.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton