Yeah I figured out what happened. I inadvertently set the keys to utf8 on the column family:

assume ColumnFamily keys as utf8;

which broke whichever default mechanism was in place to perform the colon separated values for the Composite key. When I restarted cassandra-cli, the query worked again.

Any idea what type the key is on a Composite key such that I may be able to re-assume it?

Anthony