Yup, thats a pretty common pattern. How exactly depends on the client you are using.

Say you were using pycassam, you would do a get() http://pycassa.github.com/pycassa/api/pycassa/columnfamily.html#pycassa.columnfamily.ColumnFamily.get

with column_start="ABC_" , count to whatever, and column_finish not provided.

You can also provide a finish and use the highest encoded character, e.g. ascii 126 is ~ so if you used column_finish = "ABC_~" you would get everything that starts with ABC_

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer