From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Urgent:!! Re: Need to maintenance on a cassandra node, are there problems with this process
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:43:37 GMT
> I am running read/write at quorum. At this point I have turned off my
> clients from talking to this node. So if that is the case I can potentially
> just nodetool repair (without changing IP). But would it be better if I

No, other nodes in the cluster will still be sending reads to the node.

> copied over the data/mykeyspace from another replica and then run repair?

The key thing is that unless you're willing to accept the node serving
reads with incorrect data, you need the node to initiate a normal
bootstrapping process whereby it starts taking writes as it is
bootstrapping, but won't take reads until it's done. This requires
that other nodes know that it is joining the ring; if you just pop it
back in they won't know that.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode on twitter)