From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: nodetool repair caused high disk space usage
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:26:23 GMT
> After upgrading to cass 0.8.4 from cass 0.6.11.  I ran scrub.  That worked
> fine.  Then I ran nodetool repair on one of the nodes.  The disk usage on
> data directory increased from 40GB to 480GB, and it's still growing.

If you check your data directory, does it contain a lot of
"*Compacted" files? It sounds like you're churning sstables from a
combination of compactions/flushes (including triggered by repair) and
the old ones aren't being deleted. I wonder if there is still some
issue causing sstable retention

Since you're on 0.8.4, I'm a bit suspicious. I'd have to re-check each
JIRA but I think the major known repair problems should be fixed
except for CASSANDRA-2280 which is not your problem since you're going
form a total load of 40  gig to hundreds of gigs (so even with all
cf:s streaming, that's unexpected).

Do you have any old left-over streams active on the nodes? "nodetool
netstats". If there are "stuck" streams, they might be causing sstable
retention beyond what you'd expect.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode on twitter)