From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Scalability question
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:23:44 GMT
Multi threaded compaction helps there https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2191

It's another reason to avoid major / manual compactions which create a single big SSTable.
Minor compactions keep things in buckets   which means newer SSTable can be compacted needing
to read the bigger older tables.

It's also a reasonable factor to consider when sizing nodes.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 15/08/2011, at 5:32 AM, Philippe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As on-disk SSTables become bigger and bigger because more data is added in the ring,
compactions take longer and longer because each file is becoming bigger.
> Isn't there a time where compacting will take so long that compaction just can't keep
up with the amount of data ? It looks to me like that's independent from the write throughput,
just a question of how long it takes.