From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Problem with Schema change propagation time
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:35:27 GMT
You want to run the thrift function describe_schema_versions it will tell you which nodes are
on which schemas, and wait until there is a single version.

From memory this is what the Cassandra Cli does, have a look in the code base in the o.a.c.cli
package.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 3/08/2011, at 6:04 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mccloud35@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ran across a problem, when trying to execute the following code through Hector.
>
> private boolean createCF(String CFName) {
>         BasicColumnFamilyDefinition columnFamilyDefinition = new BasicColumnFamilyDefinition();
>         columnFamilyDefinition.setColumnType(ColumnType.STANDARD);
>         columnFamilyDefinition.setName(CFName);
>         columnFamilyDefinition.setKeyspaceName(ReceiverConstants.BAM_KEYSPACE);
>
>         synchronized (this) {
>             boolean cfDefFound = false;
>             for (ColumnFamilyDefinition cfDef : bamKeyspaceDefinition.getCfDefs()) {
>                 log.info("CF found : " + cfDef.getName());
>                 if (cfDef.getName().equals(CFName)) {
>                     cfDefFound = true;
>                     break;
>                 }
>             }
>             // Column Family not found, so create it
>             if (!cfDefFound) {
>                 ThriftCfDef cfDef = new ThriftCfDef(columnFamilyDefinition);
>                 cluster.addColumnFamily(cfDef);
>             }
>             cfList.add(CFName);
>         }
>         return true;
>     }
>
> Even though the code block is synchronized, during a load other thread that enter this
block still does not see the CF has been added and results in [1]

> A workaround would be going for a thread sleep. But that seems too hacky for me :(. Is
there a way to properly fix this? Maybe a blocking method exists that doesn't return until
this schema change is propagated through all nodes.

> BTW, I only have one node runnning.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tharindu
>

> [1] -
>
> [2011-08-02 22:46:44,892]  INFO {me.prettyprint.cassandra.hector.TimingLogger} -  start[1312305404883]
time[9] tag[META_WRITE.fail_]
> me.prettyprint.hector.api.exceptions.HInvalidRequestException: InvalidRequestException(why:CF
is already defined in that keyspace.)