From Teijo Holzer <thol...@wetafx.co.nz>
Subject Re: Unable to repair a node
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:16:22 GMT
Hi,

I took the following steps to get a node that refused to repair back under control.

WARNING: This resulted in some data loss for us, YMMV with your replication factor

* Turn off all row & key caches via cassandra-cli
* Set "disk_access_mode: standard" in cassandra.yaml
* Kill Cassandra on problematic node
* Move the data, commitlog & keycaches directories on problematic node away
* Change "auto_bootstrap: true" in cassandra.yaml on problematic node only
* Start problematic node and wait for bootstrap to finish (see log/nodetool)
* Change back "auto_bootstrap: false" in cassandra.yaml on problematic node only
* Run repair on problematic node, then on all other nodes (rolling, see log)
* Run major compaction on problematic node, then on all other nodes (rolling)
* Revert all the config changes from above (if desired)
* Restart all nodes (rolling)

Cheers,

	T.