From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Install Cassandra on EC2
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 22:23:21 GMT
Pre build AMI here
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/setting-up-a-cassandra-cluster-with-the-datastax-ami

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 4 Aug 2011, at 03:24, Jeremy Hanna wrote:

> Some quick thoughts that might be helpful:
>
> - use ephemeral instances and RAID0 over the local volumes for both cassandra's data
as well as the log directory.  The log directory because if you crash due to heap size, the
heap dump will be stored in the log directory.  you don't want that to go in your root/OS
partition.

> - probably want to stripe across AZs so that a single AZ failure doesn't affect you as
much.

> - for seeds, it's nice to use elastic ips so that your seed configuration doesn't have
to change if a node is replaced.

> - the ec2snitch makes it so each AZ appears as a rack wrt topology - simpler as it inspects
the ec2 metadata.  if you need more than one DC in your cluster (we need a second virtual
DC for analytics), you'll probably want to use the property file snitch.  there's a cross
region ec2snitch that's coming in 1.0.

> would probably be good to add some ec2 specific tips in the wiki.  the page that dave
mentioned is a good step-by-step, but there's been a lot of community knowledge accumulated
about best practices in the year since that was done.