From Daniel Doubleday <daniel.double...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Cassandra memory problem
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:41:54 GMT
Hm - had to digg deeper and it totally looks like a native mem leak to me:

We are still growing with res += 100MB a day. Cassandra is > 8G now

I checked the cassandra process with pmap -x

Here's the human readable (aggregated) output:

Format is thingy: RSS in KB

Total SST: 1961616
Anon RSS: 6499640

Total RSS: 8478376

Here's a little more detail:

SSTables (data and index files)
******
Attic: 0
PrivateChatNotification: 38108
Schema: 0
PrivateChat: 161048
UserData: 116788
HintsColumnFamily: 0
Rooms: 100548
Tracker: 476
Migrations: 0
ObjectRepository: 793680
BlobStore: 350924
Activities: 400044
LocationInfo: 0

Libraries
******
javajar: 2292
nativelib: 13028

Other
******
28201: 32
jna979649866618987247.tmp: 92
locale-archive: 1492
[stack]: 132
java: 44
ffi8TsQPY(deleted): 8

And
******
[anon]: 6499640

Maybe the output of pmap is totally misleading but my interpretation is that only 2GB of RSS
is attributed to paged in sstables.
I have one large anon block which looks like this:

Address           Kbytes     RSS   Dirty Mode   Mapping
000000073f600000       0 3093248 3093248 rwx--    [ anon ]

This is the native heap thats been allocated on startup and mlocked

So theres still 3.5GB of anon memory.

We haven't deployed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2654 yet and this might
be part of it but I don't think thats the main problem.
As I said mem goes up by 100MB each day pretty linearly.

Would be great if anyone could verify this by running pmap or talk my off the roof by explaining
that nothing's the way it seems.

All this might be heavily OS specific so maybe that's only on Debian?

Thanks a lot
Daniel