From Sylvain Lebresne <>
Subject Re: Some commit logs not deleting
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:52:17 GMT
This is likely due to Basically, if
you have a column family on which you stop to write suddenly forever
(which will be the case if you drop a cf), one commit log could get
retained forever (forever meaning "until next restart of the node" in
that context). The patch is targeted for 0.8.3 and I see no good
reason why it wouldn't make it in, but I don't think we'll push it in
the 0.7 series.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Chad Johnson <> wrote:
> Hello,
> We are running Cassandra 0.7.5 on a 15 node cluster, RF=3. We are having a
> problem where some commit logs do not get deleted. Our write load generates
> a new commit log about every two to three minutes. On average, one commit
> log an hour is not deleted. Without draining, deleting the remaining commit
> log files and restarting each node in the cluster, the commit log partition
> will fill up. We do one thing with our cluster that is probably not very
> common. We make schema changes four times per day. We cycle column families
> by dropping old column families for old data we don't care about any longer
> and creating new ones for new data.
> Is anybody else see this problem? I can assume that the dirty bit for those
> commit logs are still set, but why? How can I determine what CF memtable is
> still dirty?
> Please let me know if there is additional information I can provide and
> thanks for your help.
> Chad

View raw message