From Selcuk Bozdag <>
Subject Re: Java bits: Horizontal Scalibility and DAO layer design
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:43:09 GMT
Thanks Anthony. Following your comments, I searched for a similar
approach using command pattern.
seems a way of doing that.

On 27 July 2011 18:23, Ikeda Anthony <> wrote:
> Speaking from personal experience (and believe me it all comes down to this) we attempted
a DAO approach as well. However, we found that based upon all the mutator.addInsertion()s
we were creating across column families everything ended up in the same DAO - we only have
3 main Column Families that represent about 10 logical entities.
> So we have now moved to a Command pattern where the mutations are encapsulated within
a command which can be used with other commands if need be - though we haven't found a need
to just yet.
> Anthony
> On 27/07/2011, at 08:15 AM, Selcuk Bozdag wrote:
>> Hi,
>> The question I am asking is a bit about the design of a data access
>> objects layer on top of a cassandra datastore.
>> I had a look at project Kundera which basically implies JPA approach
>> by creating POJOs and mapping them through annotations. Looks
>> promising but what if I would like to have new columns inside the data
>> store(i.e. an attribute of a pojo class) without changing the
>> codebase? How could I achieve such an extensiblity on the DAO layer?
>> What would be the most relevant design pattern?
>> Please do not take the question regarding Kundera, it was just an
>> example. The eventual design should let me CRUD POJOs while gaining an
>> ability to be extended.
>> Regards,
>> Selcuk

View raw message